The Little Red Schoolhouse. 1868.The Little Red Schoolhouse. 1868. Located on Carter Street. This elegantly simple schoolhouse — known as the Carter Street School — served its neighborhood until its closing in 1957, after the last session conducted by Mary J. Kelly. Miss Kelley attended the school as a child and became a teacher there in 1910. The recollections of many of its students were compiled in "A Student's Memoir," by Robert W.P. Cutler, class of 1943, and published in the New Canaan Historical Society's 2004 annual. The Society acquired the Schoolhouse and restored it in 2003, with the generous support of the New Canaan Community Foundation, the Jeniam Foundation and the Rotary Club of New Canaan, as well as from Society members and former students in the school.