The Rock School. 1799The Rock School. 1799. A beautifully-preserved example of a one-room schoolhouse, the Rock School was originally located at Laurel and Canoe Hill Roads. When it was threatened with demolition, in the early 1970s, local schools and schoolchildren raised money and awareness to help relocate the building. A team of volunteers — professional and amateur — moved the school to its new home, on the grounds of the New Canaan Historical Society, in 1973. With its reproduction desks and tables, school materials, and wood-burning stove, it gives modern-day schoolchildren and others a feel for the simplicity and rigors of school days of an earlier era.