The Town House. 1825.
Twenty-four years after it was incorporated as a town, in 1801, New Canaan built its first municipal building, the Town House, which originally served as a voting place and a location for meetings.
The New Canaan Historical Society acquired the building from the Augustana Lutheran Church in 1963. Altered and enlarged in the years since, the Town House now serves as the Historical Society's headquarters. It houses the Society's library and archives, as well as exhibition rooms, galleries, historical collections and a meeting room.