The Town House

Built in 1825, 13 Oenoke Ridge Road

Situated atop God’s Acre, the Town House serves as gateway to the Historical Society’s campus and is a key element of New Canaan’s Historic District. Built in 1825, the Town House was the location of the town’s government until 1864.  The building changed hands and uses multiple times, providing space for Methodist, then Baptist congregations, the Masonic Order’s Harmony Lodge, a parsonage for the Congregational Church minister, and space for St. Mark’s Sunday School. Acquired in 1963 from St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in exchange for needed parking space, the Town House and its additions became the Historical Society’s headquarters. The Jane Watson Irwin Memorial Library of more than 3,500 volumes provides extensive research materials. Exhibition and gallery spaces feature special art, craft and costume displays. Of particular note is the second floor Costume Museum containing an impressive collection of antique clothing and accessories, exhibited periodically.

The large meeting room in the house annex, built in 1998, provides space for lectures and presentations.

In an addition to the Town House is a replica of Cody’s Drug Store containing artifacts of New Canaan’s first pharmacy.