New Canaan Historical Society
Founded in 1889, we promote historic preservation and build an appreciation of our Town’s rich past through programs, events, research, exhibitions, museums and more.
– Learn More
Historic Town Register
Here we have a selection of significant New Canaan homes over 100 years old, Drummond Visitation Homes, Landmark Homes, New Canaan Historic District Homes, and more. – Learn More
The New Canaan Historical Society maintains a large, well-focused research library of more than 3,500 volumes, specializing in local history, regional history, and genealogy. – Learn More
Calendar of Events
We hold events numerous throughout the year that appeal to all ages and to diverse interests.
– Learn More
Celebrate With Us, 128 Years and Counting
Art America–160 Years in the Making
Our new exhibit opens on Friday, April 28th, with a cocktail reception at 6:00 pm. The exhibit features 50 works of art representing major styles, subjects and art colonies in America from over nearly two centuries. Scattered throughout the exhibit are mannequins viewing a particular piece of art dressed in the attire of that period of time. The Historical Society’s extensive costume collection made this concept a reality. It is interesting to see what a patron of the arts might look like back in the day.More Info
From the Archives: D.P. Brinley
New acquisitions and items from the Historical Society’s collections detail and demonstrate Silvermine artist D.P. Brinley’s work and impact to the New Canaan community and beyond. More information to follow!
The New Canaan Historical Society is open to everyone. We welcome you as a guest and invite you to become a member — we are not exclusive and we have no waiting lists!
Ways to Get Involved
Become a Member
Become a Museum Docent
Some Historical Facts
A Century Ago…
The 1910 census showed that New Canaan’s population had risen to 3,667 residents. The town reported an assessment of 945 houses (up 53 from the year before) with a value of $2,859,560. New Canaan received the generous donation of a large parcel of land from the widow of Benjamin P. Mead, thus paving the way for the creation of Mead Park in the coming years. Construction was also underway for the town’s first library, architected by a local resident.