Known as “the people’s sculptor,” John Rogers (1829-1904) built and worked in this studio creating, then reproducing and selling, some 100,000 “Rogers Groups” over a 28-year span. Favorite subjects included the Civil War and scenes such as an organ grinder with monkey, or church-goers in their pews.
Originally situated on St. Mark’s Church property, the Studio was rescued from demolition in 1960. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. In 2003, the Society received a “Save America’s Treasures” grant to add climate control and restore the sculptures.
The redesigned interior displays the collection of more than 60 Rogers groups, as well as important family memorabilia. Rogers’ goal of making quality statuary widely and economically available ensured that he gained the admiration of America’s Civil War and Victorian society.
The studio is connected to other museums on the property by the Heritage Restoration Walkway, comprised of sponsored white granite blocks engraved with donor’s names.
His great-grandson, the late John Rogers, was a founder of the Rogers Group, a national club for collectors of the statuary.