The New Canaan Historical Society Supports Significant Preservation and Educational Programs and Projects
Founded in 1889, the New Canaan Historical Society has heeded its mission statement for 125 years to bring together and arrange the historical events of the town of New Canaan, its families’ genealogical records, to collect relics of the past and form a library and museum. With the financial help and support of the citizens of New Canaan and the many volunteers who have spent countless hours working at the Society over the years, we have accomplished many of our goals and we have more to achieve.
Our many educational programs, exhibitions and lectures touch the interests of New Canaan citizens of all ages.
We continue to support the National Trust and the Philip Johnson Glass House which is New Canaan’s second National Landmark. The first is the John Rogers Studio on the Society grounds.
The Historical Society has a long history of preservation:
Initiation of the New Canaan Historic District Sponsorship with the town which is a comprehensive structures survey for downtown New Canaan. Preservation of the Gores Pavilion at Irwin Park as a center to promote awareness of New Canaan’s modern house treasures, and the documentation of all of our Modern Houses. Plaquing homes in the Historic District, buildings over 100 years old, and modernist homes.
A Selection of Significant New Canaan Homes Over 100 Years Old, Drummond Visitation Homes, Landmark Homes, New Canaan Historic District Homes, Silvermine Center Historic District Homes.Learn More
New Canaan is widely known for its scores of houses designed in the decades after World War II by some of the nation’s best modern architects.Learn More