An extensive collection of tools and implements from the 18th and 19th centuries is located in what originally was an outbuilding of the Hanford-Silliman House.
Developed in 1970 by Harvey Jeacock, this museum contains many of the tools necessary to build a house similar to the Hanford-Silliman House. It also houses a collection of farming, shoemaking, wheelwrights, and other tools of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
THE PRINT SHOP
The recreation of a fully-operational 19th century print shop opened in 1971. It was designed around a rare Smith-Hoe Acorn hand press built in New York City between 1822 and 1830, and is one of only about 20 still in existence.
During each 10-hour workday, two men could produce roughly 325 newspapers with a four-page tabloid format. Some publishers employed as many as ten such presses at a time.
This press came to the Society through the generosity of V. Donald Hersam, Jr., publisher of the “Advertiser,” and grandson of the paper’s founder.