Little Red Schoolhouse
211 Carter Street
Located on Carter Street, this is actually the third school building on the site. The first one was moved to this site – literally pulled up Canoe Hill Road by oxen – so that District 3 could open in 1852. It was torn down three years later. The next schoolhouse burnt down in 1870. That same year, the existing building was constructed. It was in continuous operation until the last teacher, Miss Mary Kelley, retired in 1957.
The schoolhouse is a time capsule. It contains the same desks used by the first through fifth graders (they get progressively bigger). There are maps from 1892. Readers and a phonogram. And incredible oil paintings of Aesop’s Fables by Justin Gruelle, a famous artist with the Silvermine Guild.