The Rock School is a one-room schoolhouse that was built circa 1799 on the corner of Laurel and Canoe Hill Roads. It served District 2. It was called the Rock School because it was built on a large rock formation – typical since schools were built on land that could not be farmed. It was in continuous use until 1933. It was saved from demolition by the school children of New Canaan, who started the Save Rock School Project and raised enough money to move it to the Historical Society’s campus and restore it in 1976.
The Rock School is a way to learn about early education in Connecticut. For example, the teacher was paid so little that she often had to live with her students. Boys went to school in the winter, when they weren’t needed to help in the fields, and girls went when they could be spared. The curriculum was reading, arithmetic, penmanship and religion – with religion getting the most emphasis. Visitors enjoy modeling the dunce cap or wearing the signs that were used to discipline children. (“Lazy child”).