Worn by Ethel Silliman
Gift of Adria Kellogg Law
Ethel Silliman married George E. Kellogg on October 5, 1911 in her parents’ home, now the Hanford-Silliman historic house museum at 33 Oenoke Ridge. The Silliman family owned a prominent hardware store in the heart of New Canaan. George and Ethel were sixth generation residents of New Canaan. The dress was donated by their daughter, along with gloves, the original invitation, and headpiece.
The simple crepe satin dress features princess lace on the bodice and a soft draping around the empire waist. The short sleeves are shirred to create a slight puff, and the narrow skirt ends in a short train. Two evolving trends from the 1910s were a revived empire waist and a more tubular silhouette. The ensemble included a floor-length veil.