New Canaan Historical Society
Founded in 1889, we promote historic preservation and build an appreciation of our Town’s rich past through programs, events, research, exhibitions, museums and more.
– Learn More
Historic Town Register
Here we have a selection of significant New Canaan homes over 100 years old, Drummond Visitation Homes, Landmark Homes, New Canaan Historic District Homes, and more. – Learn More
The New Canaan Historical Society maintains a large, well-focused research library of more than 3,500 volumes, specializing in local history, regional history, and genealogy. – Learn More
Calendar of Events
We hold a large diversity of events all year long. Events are for the all ages and those interested inthe history of New Canaan and the surrounding area.
– Learn More
Celebrate With Us, 125 Years and Counting
Woven In Time: Kashmir Shawls
July – September 2015
A new exhibit of Kashmir shawls is opening at the New Canaan Historical Society’s Costumes Museum. The shawls shown reflect the preferences of Americans during the Victorian Period. Included in the exhibit are shawls from the 1st quarter of the 19th century through the end of the century. All shawls and costumes are from the Society’s collection.
May 29 – August 15
“The Cartoonists of Silvermine: Past and Present” is an historical retrospective exhibiting reproductions of seventeen cartoonists who worked or lived in Silvermine from 1900 though the present. On display in the Silvermine Room.
July 26th – Hi and Lois Cartoonist Brian Walker to Speak at Historical Society
The New Canaan Historical Society is open to everyone. We welcome you as a guest and invite you to become a member — we are not exclusive and we have no waiting lists!
Ways to Get Involved
Become a Member
Become a Museum Docent
Some Historical Facts
A Century Ago…
The 1910 census showed that New Canaan’s population had risen to 3,667 residents. The town reported an assessment of 945 houses (up 53 from the year before) with a value of $2,859,560. New Canaan received the generous donation of a large parcel of land from the widow of Benjamin P. Mead, thus paving the way for the creation of Mead Park in the coming years. Construction was also underway for the town’s first library, architected by a local resident.